Get even more great free content!
This content contains copyrighted material that requires a free NewseumED account.
Registration is fast, easy, and comes with 100% free access to our vast collection of videos, artifacts, interactive content, and more.
NewseumED is provided as a free educational resource and contains copyrighted material. Registration is required for full access. Signing up is simple and free.
With a free NewseumED account, you can:
- Watch timely and informative videos
- Access expertly crafted lesson plans
- Download an array of classroom resources
- and much more!
- Current Events
Anger and angst run high each election cycle, stumping political pundits and repelling the public. This EDCollection provides an easy-access path to re-engage students with the political process. Eleven case studies show students how to excavate the meaty issues from the political mud and prepare them to answer: Is there a better way?
To make the most of this collection, we suggest you:
- Start with our political personality quiz for your students to discover if they are election avoiders, election fanatics or somewhere in between.
- Explore a case study that tackles the surprises of historical and recent elections, answering questions such as “What’s the value of conventions?” and “Are elections fair?” Case studies are grouped in three themes: Election Procedures, Campaign Messages and Public Participation.
- Each case study includes an issue summary that sets the scene; election essentials that give historical context; primary sources for illustration; and guiding questions to engage in thoughtful debate.
- Take action! “Unstumped” students can register to vote or, for those under 18, get involved in other ways in the election.
The greatest danger to our democracy is political detachment. We hope these resources help you take your students from bystanders to informed, engaged – and civil – civic leaders.
Explore the EDCollection
What has you stumped?
PICK AN ISSUE TO EXPLORE.Or, get your political personality type with ourquiz