Get even more great free content!
This content contains copyrighted material that requires a free NewseumED account.
Registration is fast, easy, and comes with 100% free access to our vast collection of videos, artifacts, interactive content, and more.
With a free NewseumED account, you can:
- Watch timely and informative videos
- Access expertly crafted lesson plans
- Download an array of classroom resources
- and much more!
- Religious Literacy
Kate Soules is a doctoral candidate in Curriculum and Instruction at Boston College. Her research focuses on teachers’ professional learning and development on religious literacy and religious liberty. She has taught students from the middle school level to the graduate school level.
- Compare the two failed models of the “sacred public school” and the “naked public school”
- Understand the “civic public school” model and how it offers a way forward
- Haynes, C. C., & Thomas, O. S. (2007). Finding Common Ground: A First Amendment Guide to Religion and Public Schools. Nashville, TN: First Amendment Center.
- Chapter 1: “From Battleground to Common Ground” (pg. 1-8)
- Chapter 2: “Religious Liberty, Public Education, and the Future of American Democracy” (pg. 9-14)
- Williamsburg Charter Video
- “A Common Vision for the Common Good” by Charles Haynes, Religious Freedom Center
- What does it mean to apply a 3Rs and First Amendment framework in public schools?
- Why should we be concerned with religious liberty in the public schools?
- Discuss your responses on the reflection tool. What are some of the strengths and areas for growth that you see in your school regarding implementing a First Amendment framework?